This will help you to understand how to engage in positive care planning for your loved one.
- Plan to ahead to avoid crisis. Act instead of react.
- Separating your wants and emotions from the needs of your parents
- Understanding everyone’s individual unique situation
- Be specific to what would be helpful to your caregiving efforts
- Communicate in a positive, direct, and calm way
- Find the strengths, talents, and abilities of each sibling and use that to construct the best plan of care
- Listen and prepare to accept and accommodate other opinions.
- Find ways to take care of yourself.
- Utilize a mediator and/or counselor if any issues arise